Friday 15 February 2019

European age group Cross Duathlon

Well this turned out to be a little special, following the alps this was up there with the best.

Following coed y brenin cross duathlon id qualified as an age group athlete to represent GB in Ibiza in October 18.

From here we had become four with Me pooley steff and shelley making the trip.

Lots of prep and organisation we were staying in an air b and b on the north side of the island flying from east Midlands airport. Bought my friends mtb few weeks before going and the old favriote pulled calf muscle nearly stopped play so had 4 weeks out leading up to the event, disaster.

The accommodation was stunning hut with a family it wasn't the best. No swimming pool and loads of steep steps. My race was around the corner so an ideal location on the island and a beautiful place to settle.

I went to put the bike together the day before the race to find a wheel spoke had been snapped. Dad the main subject having tried to squeeze it in the hired car leaving the airport. So when everyone were looking over the course I was rushing around the island looking for a bike shop. Took all day to sort and fix, got in a meeting with the team manager. 7pm I got the bike home found my lights and headed out to Reece the route.

My race was at 3pm so.plenty of time to settle and get things sorted. A large group gathered to watch friends and family were able to sit in the bar and watch the run and cycle go around them. The race was held on a beach with transition and start and finish in the sand with the run taking in loops of the costal path and the mtb course going up an around the mountain top 3 times.

Exciting start with everyone an athlete it was competitive, lots of elbows and pushing. Spanish German French athletes I was smiling all the way. It was fast as well, i hadn't run since Coed y brenin 10k where I pulled my calf so after 1k I was cooked. Steadied the ship a bit to get to the bike but it was a tough run in soft sand, tarmac and rock.

The mtb started with a 15min climb. Tough rocky and mega steep it was a killer, lost a lot of positions and after leading the gb group I was down to 4th after 10mins. Steadily got faster with each lap and enjoyed the finish to crack

No comments:

Post a Comment