Friday 23 March 2018

Ras yr Aran 2018

I bloody won. Race cut short

So finally a full on scary long fell race, it had been a while. Been off the scene for a few years due to family, injury and work etc. Usual stuff.

Ras Aran 10.5 miles, never raced or been up the mountain so was not sure what to expect. Bought a new pair of Inov 212 for the season ahead.

On arrival it was snowing and christ was it cold. Really strong wind in the starting village let alone on top of the mountain.

So as expected the race was cut short, not sure where to but it was around half way on the map.

Me, Felipe, Simon, Dan and Dee raced and Sion came to support.  A gd crowd racing and we headed off up to the hills. Kept a top 5 position then pulled up to 3rd behind two guys who were pushing hard and then left them to take the lead and quickly put in a large gap. It was a struggle being up top, I didn't know the route and a few different paths had me looking back on a few occasions.

On looking back my old faithful Felipe was behind. Before I new it there was a mountain rescue group and the turn around, it was time to head down hill!! So with Felipe behind I also had Ifan Richards not far who are the two best mountain decenders in the game, it was going to be fun. Loved the route, really rugged but lot of the soft stuff were you could let things go. On reaching the lower slopes I held a decent gap and on reaching the tarmac I was home and dry. Brilliant to win with a bit more in the tank. Happy days. Ifan 2nd Felipe 3rd

No comments:

Post a Comment